Instructions: NCCI Guidelines:
An internal audit of knee arthroscopy procedures has identified the following:
29880 and 29876 are being coded together for the same knee
1. Based on NCCI edits, elaborate on the appropriateness of this coding practice.
2. Develop a process to ensure that NCCI arthroscopy guidelines are followed.
References: Castro, A.B. and E. Forrestal. 2015. Principles of Healthcare Reimbursement, 5th edition. Chicago,:AHIMA
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (2015). NCCI Policy Manual for Medicare Services. Link:
Hazelwood, A. and C. Venable. 2016. Reimbursement Methodologies. Chapter 7 in Health Information Management: Concepts, Principles, and Practice, 5th ed. Oachs, P. and A. Watters, eds. Chicago: AHIMA
Appropriate elaboration of coding practice, double-spaced.
Explain in each paragraph using analysis and scholarly thought with assertions supported by evidence.
Use proper quotation and APA citation rules
Provide URL with use of APA format
Use proper spelling and grammar
This assignment comes from 2016 AHIMA Health Information Management Cases Studies.
CAHIIM Subdomain V.B.1
Number of Pages: 2 Pages
Reflect back over the past 8 weeks and describe how the achievement of the course outcomes in this course have prepared you to meet the MSN program outcome #1, MSN Essential I, and Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies # 1 Scientific Foundation Competencies
Program Outcome #1: Provide high quality, safe, patient-centered care grounded in holistic health principles. (holistic health & patient-centered care)
MSN Essential I: Background for Practice from Sciences and Humanities:
Recognizes that the master’s prepared nurse integrates scientific findings from nursing, biopsychosocial fields, genetics, public health, quality improvement, and organizational sciences for the continual improvement of nursing care across diverse settings.
Nurse Practitioner Core Competencies # 1 Scientific Foundation Competencies
- Critically analyzes data and evidence for improving advanced nursing practice.
- Integrates knowledge from the humanities and sciences within the context of nursing science.
- Translates research and other forms of knowledge to improve practice processes and outcomes.
- Develops new practice approaches based on the integration of research, theory, and practice knowledg