This week’s graded topics relate to the following Course Outcomes (COs).
- CO 4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
- CO 7: Apply professional nursing standards and ethical principles to provide spiritually and culturally appropriate care. (PO 6)
- CO 8: Demonstrate effective communication strategies and teamwork in managing the healthcare of individuals, families, aggregates, and communities. (PO 3)
Locate a news article or story related to a current event in healthcare policy. Some examples may be, but are not limited to healthcare reform, the Affordable Care Act, prescription drugs, healthcare costs, insurance coverage, healthcare fraud, transparency, or underinsured populations.
- Provide a brief overview of the article, and include the URL link.
- As a healthcare professional, has this raised any ethical questions or concerns for you?
- How can a community health nurse (CHN) be involved as a change agent for related healthcare policies?
Professor’s comment: Hello Class,
This week, we will be exploring healthcare policy. Please consider the below questions when formulating your response.
- Have any of your views changed about healthcare policy based on what you have learned? Did you find you had any misconceptions (positive or negative)?
- How can CHNs ensure that all cultural groups in their community understand important healthcare policies?
- How is your community impacted by current healthcare practices?
References: American Psychological Association. (2010). Publication manual of the American Psychological Association (6th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Nies, M. A., & McEwen, M. (2019). Community/public health nursing: Promoting the health of populations (7 ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.